Simply Sol-fa - Over 300 Exercises for Aural Training and Transposing at the Piano:
- Enables children to switch seamlessly from singing animals to singing sol-fa.
- Written from pianistic point of view.
- Strong foundation for use of Sol-fa established through singing, playing and transposing.
- Can start midway through Dogs and Birds book 2 if child is ready.
- Benefits include improved sight-singing, sight-reading, improvisation and singing.
- Aids understanding of scales and chords.
- Short pieces based on question and answer phrasing.
- Children hear and feel the different musical colours of keys.
- Dogs and Birds background not necessary.
- Can be used by older students wishing to learn Sol-fa.
Download pdf of sample pages: Simply Sol-fa
I often use the Sol-fa names and hand signs in my teaching, and I have only done so aurally before. It is very useful to have this little book with me now as I can use it to aid understanding of pitching. melody and transposition as well as simple ear training ixed with sight-reading. This is a very versitile little book and I use it for all abilities, from beginner to post grade 8!
Incredibly useful and convenient way of connecting the ear to the keyboard, via the voice! Also great for strengthening understanding of rhythm notation. I use it with all my students.
I am not a great singer and have tried many books in the past but have found this one to be the most effective, noticing my aural perception improve dramatically. The exercises are well constructed making it both fun and effective for all ages. I would recommend this book to anyone, no matter what age are playing ability.